Cities: Skylines on Mac
Cities: Skylines is a single-player simulation game where players are tasked with building a modern city and managing it. The game is all about engaging in urban planning, road construction, public services, public transportation, employment, city finances, and pollution control.
At the start of the game, the player is given a piece of land, access to a nearby highway, and a limited amount of money. He has to plan and build roads, residential, industrial, and commercial areas, as well as water, electricity, and sewage systems, in order to bring people in and give them jobs.
As the city’s population increases, the player gains access to other city improvements, such as schools, police stations, fire stations, healthcare facilities, waste management systems, public transportation, and other elements for city administration. The existing buildings can also get upgrades as the local area gets improved.
A feature that allows the player to divide their city into districts makes management easier. The player can create rules for each district and enforce regulations such as preventing certain types of construction or industries within its borders, making public transportation free within the district to reduce traffic, or increasing and decreasing the taxes.
The citizens are not passive and can respond to a wide variety of in-game events, such as noise, pollution, traffic, emergencies, etc.
Once the player has enough money and population, he can buy more plots of land to develop his city further.
A complex transportation system (that includes buses, taxis, trams, trains, ferries, and metro systems) enables the player to organize efficient public transportation for the city in order to reduce traffic and increase transit income.
Roads can be constructed to adapt to the landscape and the planning of the specific district they are passing through. There are wider roads (such as major highways) that can handle more traffic and other road types (such as avenues surrounded by trees or motorways with sound barriers) that can lower noise pollution or raise property prices in the region.
Day and Night Cycle
The city’s life is affected by a day-night cycle. At night, the traffic is noticeably slower, and some of the industrial districts don’t function at full capacity while during the day everything gets busier.
In terms of design, Cities: Skylines tends towards the realistic art style. Tilt-shift effects (effects related to the image perspective) have been used by the developers to give the player the feeling of a three-dimensional world. The pre-made plots of land where the city can be built have real-world geographic features, which also add realism to the gaming experience.
The game’s content can be expanded with DLCs and Mods that can change fundamental aspects of the gameplay, such as making it possible to play with unlimited funds or increasing the game’s difficulty. Players who want more room for individual expression can run their city in sandbox mode.
Cities: Skylines is a game that successfully incorporates a variety of gameplay elements of the classic city-building genre to capture the joy and struggle of establishing and managing a real metropolis. Players have to strike a balance between the city’s economy and the costs of providing basic services like education, water, power, police, fire protection, healthcare, and more. The game doesn’t have a strict goal and is completely open-ended, which makes it engaging, especially for those of you who like to be creative.
Can you play Cities: Skylines on Mac?
Since there is an official version for Mac OS, you won’t need any hacks or workarounds to play Cities: Skylines on your Mac. All you need is an account in your gaming store (Epic Games, Steam) from where you can download the Mac-supported game version of Cities: Skylines and install it.
Another way to play Cities: Skylines is through cloud gaming. Boosteroid and GeForce Now, are two cloud gaming platforms with rich game libraries that support Cities: Skylines. These two platforms simplify gaming on a Mac down to streaming games in your browser without the need to download and install them.
How to download Cities: Skylines on Mac?
Cities: Skylines can be downloaded on Mac directly. There are no special requirements or workarounds necessary for Mac users who want to get the game. All they need is an account to a store that offers the game (Steam, Epic) from where they can download the Mac OS version of the game and install it on their Mac.
Cities: Skylines is native to macOS, therefore it can be installed and can run smoothly on a Mac with either an Intel or M1 processor. Just be sure your computer meets the game’s minimum system requirements before buying it.
How to play Cities: Skylines on Mac
If you want to play Cities: Skylines on your Mac machine, there is an official Mac version of the game available for download on Steam and Epic Games. If you want to skip the download, you can also play Cities: Skylines by streaming it in your browser with Boosteroid or GeForce Now.
Before you move to the steps below, you need to select a method to play from the options listed in the table below:
|Methods||Who is it for?|
|For those who want to download and play the game locally to get a native experience.|
(Boosteroid or Geforce Now)
|For those who want smooth performance with the ability to casually play all games with the highest visual quality in a matter of minutes.|
How to play Cities: Skylines on Mac M1?
You can play Cities: Skylines on Mac M1 without facing any major issues. The game has an official MacOS version that you can download and install from Steam or Epic Games. Alternatively, if you don’t want to go through the whole installation process, you can stream Cities: Skylines in your browser in a matter of minutes with the help of Boosteroid or GeForce Now.
Play Cities: Skylines on Mac with Boosteroid
Your Mac and a Boosteroid account are all you need to play Cities: Skylines in the cloud. There are a lot of advantages to using Boosteroid for cloud gaming. The ability to start playing without first installing anything is one of them. Also, you won’t have to create physical space on your Mac’s hard disk by erasing any data. And you may use any Mac, regardless of its hardware configuration or model. If you play games online, your gaming experience depends only on your internet connection’s speed and stability.
If you wish to stream the game live using Boosteroid, you need to follow these instructions:
- You must first create an account at Boosteroid.com.
- Next, log in and click on your account name to access your profile settings.
- You have to activate your Boosteroid subscription by clicking on the Subscribe option from the menu, then choose a subscription plan and fill in your payment details.
- When your subscription is activated, search for “Cities: Skylines” in the search field, and click on it.
- You should see the game’s Boosteroid page on the screen. Click Play.
- A pop-up message will ask you to connect your Steam account to Boosteroid. Click OK.
- Next, on the Steam login page, enter your username and password and log in.
- Wait for a few seconds for the game to load on the screen. If that doesn’t happen automatically, launch Cities: Skylines from the Steam library and play.
Play Cities: Skylines on Mac with GeForce Now
- Use your browser to go to the official GeForce Now website.
- Create an account for the service and log in.
- After that, go to the GeForce Now downloads page and download the Mac client of the program.
- Next, install the GeForce Now client on your Mac and use your account credentials to log in.
- Open the newly installed GeForce Now program and search for Cities: Skylines.
- Select the game, then choose Steam or Epic Games and click Play.
- Enter your login information for the chosen store to confirm that you agree to connect your GeForce account with it.
- Once this is done, the game should load on the screen.
Play Cities: Skylines on Mac with Steam
- If you don’t have a Steam account, the first thing to do is to create one on the official website and log in.
- After that, in the upper right corner of the screen, click the “Install Steam” button and download the Steam client installer for Mac.
- Run the installer on your Mac and set up your Steam client.
- Once this is done, go to the Steam library and search for the game.
- Purchase the Mac game version and complete your order.
- You should find your purchased game in your Steam library. Click on “Install” to download the game. It may take a few minutes for the installation to complete.
- Finally, start playing the game from Steam’s library and enjoy.