Table of Contents
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a turn-based tactical RPG that you can play natively on your Mac, by downloading it from Steam or Epic Games Store. You can also play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac by streaming the game through GeForce Now.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a massive single-player RPG game in a gaming genre that’s already known for its scale and lengthy campaigns. It’s the successor to the highly-successful Pathfinder: Kingmaker RPG, and it attempts to provide an even deeper, more immersive, and technically better role-playing gaming experience. How well it manages to do that will be the focus of the next few paragraphs. However, if you are solely interested in learning how to play this game on your Mac (it’s really easy), feel free to skip ahead to our instructions section, where we show three methods of playing Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac.
As we said, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a turn-based RPG game. It has the same developer as its predecessor – Owlcat Games – and, naturally, shares a lot of similarities with Pathfinder: Kingmaker. From a very long and story-rich campaign, and its Dungeons & Dragons-inspired aesthetic, to its very in-depth character-progression mechanics and huge catalog of character abilities and skills. If you’ve played other RPG games, such as Baldur’s Gate 3 or Divinity: Original Sin (1 and 2), this game should feel familiar. It hits a lot of the same beats as other popular RPG games, while also managing to introduce some new ideas, both in its gameplay and its story. It must be noted that this isn’t a game for everyone, but so is the RPG genre in general. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous requires the player to spend a lot of time with the game, slowly learning about its many in-depth mechanics while steadily progressing through the lengthy campaign. In other words, this is not a game that’s fit for a quick half-an-hour session during your lunch break. Instead, it demands that you free up some of your time and immerse yourself in it, which, obviously, isn’t what everyone is looking for in a game.
Story and Setting
Although this is another game in the Pathfinder series, the story and setting of Wrath of the Righteous aren’t connected to the games that have come before it. At most, you may come across some Easter Eggs from the previous Pathfinder games, but you don’t need to have played them in order to understand the story of Wrath.
The story of Wrath of the Righteous is set during a war between the nation of Mendev and an invading demonic army that is able to cross into the mortal world thanks to a magical portal called the Worldwound. The armies of the living have begun to lose ground against the demonic invaders when the player’s adventure begins. You create a custom character and start the game as a survivor of a demon attack on the city of Kenabres, the main character’s home city. After the attack, the protagonist finds out that they possess special powers that allow them to fight back the demons. After this realization, the protagonist is recruited as the commander of a Crusade against the demons, and so you get to control both the main character as well as lead a demon-fighting army.
At first glance, and in the first couple of dozen hours of gameplay, the story and setting may indeed feel generic, yet, towards the middle and during the second half of the game, everything starts to become more nuanced, as your character is faced with difficult choices that make the player explore their own morality and values – a welcome and necessary aspect in any RPG game. Of course, fantasy tropes and clichés are everywhere in the Pathfinder games, including this one, but we believe that both the setting and the story in Wrath have managed to partially break away from some boring genre conventions, providing a perspective that becomes more interesting and nuanced as the story progresses.
Maybe the best part of the Wrath of the Righteous gameplay is that it’s turn-based. Many RPGs in recent years, including Pathfinder: Kingmaker, have tried to make the clunky “real-time combat with pause” system work, and most of them have not been particularly successful. Wrath does away with the real-time system and embraces turn-based combat, which is much more fitting for an RPG of this type. This allows the player to spend all the time they need reading through ability and item descriptions, stats, rules, and more, to figure out which action would be best in a given situation. Admittedly, this makes this already long game even longer, but it’s definitely the right call (at least in our opinion).
Wrath also introduces a turn-based strategy gameplay mode, where you control your crusader army and attempt to defeat opposing demon armies. This mode is very similar to the gameplay in the Heroes of Might and Magic games, but, unfortunately, it’s rather bland and plain. In all honesty, the game would have been better without it. The same thing can be said about the Crusade-management mode, which is like a very stripped-down, bare-bones version of a 4X turn-based strategy. It feels like it’s there as an afterthought to add more content to the game, rather than an actual, well-thought-out gameplay mechanic, and while it isn’t terrible, it’s definitely one of the weaker aspects of the gameplay.
Aside from those two throwaway modes, the main aspect of the gameplay, with the turn-based combat and the incredibly deep character progression is top-notch. Speaking of character progression, you get to develop your character in multiple different classes, rather than be forced to go down a single progression path. This also ties well into the story, as the choices you make in the game reflect on the class paths of your character. In the second half of the game, you even get to choose a Mythic path, that allows your character to become a lot more powerful, and opens up a whole array of new end-game abilities.
Overall, the gameplay in Wrath of the Righteous is solid, and it improves upon its predecessors in nearly every aspect, which is more than enough to recommend this game.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Exile is a game mainly geared towards hardcore fans of the RPG genre, who have the time and patience to sink tens or even hundreds of hours while exploring the vast world, story, and gameplay mechanics of this game. For these types of players, Wrath is an easy recommendation. However, for players who prefer shorter, more streamlined experiences, there are plenty of other RPG games out there, that aren’t as demanding and would be a better fit for more casual RPG fans.
Can you play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac?
You can play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac as the game offers a native macOS version available on Steam and Epic Games Store. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is also in the Boosteroid’s and GeForce Now games’ library, so cloud gaming is also an option.
The good news for Mac users eager to try Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on their Mac computers is that the game has an official macOS version that runs well on both Intel and M1 Macs. If you want to play the game, you can easily download it from Steam or from Epic Games Store, depending on where you’ve purchased it.
Furthermore, there’s also a third option to play this game on your Mac. Since Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is also available in the games’ library of the GeForce Now cloud gaming service, you can stream the game to your Mac without needing to download it. This option should allow owners of older Macs, that may struggle to run the game natively, to still play it with good performance, so long as their Internet connection is fast and stable.
Read the lines below if you want to learn more about the different methods of playing this game on your Mac.
How to play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac
To play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, purchase the game on Steam or Epic Games Store, download the respective store client, and download the game through it. The other way to play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac is by using Boosteroid or GeForce Now.
When a given game has a version for macOS, it’s super easy to install it and start playing it on a Mac computer. All you’d need to do is get the respective gaming store client and use it to download and install the game. In the case of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, the game has Mac versions in both Steam and Epic Games Store, so you can get it from either gaming store, and you will be able to play it on your Mac. Further down, we’ve shown the specific steps for each variant.
However, it’s also possible to play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on your Mac without even downloading it, which is perfect for Mac users who don’t have enough storage space (the game requires around 50 GB of storage) or whose Mac isn’t very powerful and may not be able to run the game with decent performance. The way you can do this is by using cloud gaming services such as Boosteroid or GeForce Now, which allows you to play games by streaming them to your Mac over the Internet, rather than having them downloaded on the computer. Here are two brief guides on how to use the two aforementioned services.
Pathfinder Set Up Methods:
|Cloud Gaming||– No set-up required – Register and Play|
– Access to a Library of over 70 top-rated free Games
– Smooth performance even on old Macs
|– Monthly Fee|
– Requires Decent Internet Connection
|Parallels Virtual Machine||Not Needed|
|Native Version||– No Compatibility issues|
– Optimized for Mac
|– Slow Performance on older Macs|
To play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous with Cloud Gaming:
First, you will need to purchase the game. Limited time offer on CD.Keys.com for a discount – 61 % Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous for $ 21.19
Now you will need to register for Boosteroid. This allows you to add Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous to their Cloud Gaming Library. Once uploaded you can seamlessly play the game from your Mac, TV, or Mobile Device.
When Registered you will have additional access to more games for free. Pricing varies depending on the subscription plan.
Play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac with Boosteroid
- Get registered on Boosteroid.com and enter your account.
- Click the name of your account in the top-right of the Boosteroid site and then select Subscribe.
- Start your subscription to the Boosteroid service by picking a payment plan and a payment method, and then providing the necessary details.
- Next, search for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous in the search bar at the top, and select the game once it shows up.
- Note: There seems to be a search bar bug for this game, where when you type the full name of the game (Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous), no results will appear. However, typing only Pathfinder will show you the game in the search results.
- On the game’s page, click Play, then select OK, let’s go in the prompt that pops up, and wait for Boosteroid to load.
- Next, enter your Steam login details and log in. After that, Pathfinder should start in your browser.
Play PathFinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac using GeForce Now
- Go to the GeForce Now website and register there, choosing a subscription plan that fits your needs.
- Enter your GeForce Now account, go to the Downloads section, and download and install the GeForce Now client for Mac.
- Launch the client app, then log in, and search for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.
- Select the game, click on either Epic Games Store or Steam, depending on where you’ve purchased the game, and then click Play.
- Click Continue, and after the game, the loading completes, enter your Steam/Epic Games Store login details to begin playing.
For a detailed guide on setting up and using GeForce Now, go here.
How to download Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac
To download Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac, you will first need to install your Mac the Steam or Epic Games Store client app. After that, simply search for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous in the client, and download it on your Mac.
If your Mac meets the game’s system requirements (see below) and you have enough free space on your Mac, you can easily download Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on your Mac to play it natively. Below, we will show you how to download the game from Steam and from Epic Games Store, so choose which store you want to purchase it from, and then follow the respective instructions.
Downloading Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac from Steam:
- Visit Steam, create a new Steam account if you don’t have an account, and log in.
- Click on Install Steam from the top, download the Steam client app for Mac, and install it.
- Open the client, log in, click on Store, and search for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.
- Open the game’s page, click on Buy Now, then click Purchase for myself, choose a preferred payment method, and provide the required payment details to purchase the game.
- Next, go to the Library section of the client, scroll down to find Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, click on the game, and then click Install on the game’s page.
- In the prompt window that appears, simply click Next and the installation will begin. After the process completes, you’d be able to start the game from your library in the Steam client.
Downloading Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac from Epic Games Store
- Go to the Epic Games Store website and register there (or log in to your account if you already have one).
- Click the Download button next to your profile name (top-right), and download and install the Epic Games Store client.
- Launch the client, and provide your logins to enter your Epic Games account.
- Search for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous in the search bar and click on the game’s title when it pops up in the results.
- Click Buy Now, choose a payment option, click on Buy, and enter the required payment details to finish your purchase.
- Next, click on Library in the left panel of the Epic Games launcher (client), find the game in your personal library, and click it.
- Next, click on Install, and then click Install again to confirm the installation path and begin the process.
- After the game installs, go back to the library section of the Epic Games Launcher, and click the Launch button below the game’s tile to start it.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on Mac M1
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous can be played on Mac M1 thanks to Apple’s proprietary Rosetta 2 emulation software. You should have no issues with playing Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on your Mac M1 once you agree to the automatic Rosetta 2 installation prompt.
While many programs that can run natively on Intel-based Macs do not have official versions for M1 Mac systems, Apple has made sure to provide its M1 Mac users with an easy way to seamlessly run such programs on their computers without the need to resort to any complex workaround methods. The solution Apple has come up with is called Rosetta 2, and it is an emulation tool that you will be prompted to install the first time you attempt to run an Intel Mac app on your M1 Mac. Simply agree to the installation and once Rosetta 2 installs (it takes only a few moments), the tool will automatically get activated any time you start a piece of software designed for Intel Macs that doesn’t have a native M1 Mac version.
In addition to this method, do not forget that you can also play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on your Mac using GeForce Now if you prefer to save some storage space on your computer by not downloading the game and streaming it instead.