Table of Contents
Outlast 2 on Mac
Outlast 2 is a psychological horror survival video game played from a first-person perspective. The game is a follow-up to the 2013 game Outlast but comes with a completely new story.
Players control a journalist called Blake Langermann, who, together with his wife, Lynn, is investigating the death of an unidentified pregnant woman in the Arizona desert. After a helicopter crash separates Blake and Lynn, he needs to make his way through a village populated by cult extremists in order to find her.
Langermann’s fighting abilities are limited only to predetermined cutscenes. In the majority of the game, he is forced to just flee and hide from the many hostile members of Temple Gate.
Much like in the original game, the character can walk, crouch, run, leap, slide, climb, and more, in order to avoid the enemies and the obstacles ahead.
He also has access to a wide variety of hiding places, including lockers, barrels, closets, beds, pools of water, tall grass, cornfields, and houses to avoid close encounters with enemies. The player must keep track of how long he runs before his stamina runs out and he starts moving slower.
With no weapons at hand, Langermann’s equipment consists of a camera with batteries that get drained fast. As useless as this may sound, the camera has some helpful high-tech features, such as night vision, crisp film, zoom, and a sensitive microphone that can be used to detect footsteps from a great distance and other sounds. The camera can also be used to help Blake relive moments from his past by recording certain areas and rewatching them later.
As you advance throughout the game, you’ll find medkits and extra batteries for your camera, which are spread around in different locations.
The Game’s vibe and ambiance
Wandering around gives you a distinct feeling of horror, with farms and buildings that look like they’ve been drenched in blood from all the violence that seems to be going on in them.
As you explore, you’ll come across different hints revealing more about your surroundings but ignoring them might be fatal. You’ll often find yourself switching between the real world and the camera in an attempt to figure out what is going on around you.
Enemies who want to kill you will appear at random, but instead of running away, you may choose to hide from them and save your stamina. The option to hide away is a plus, but the area’s openness and strange layout make it easy to get lost without realizing it. And when this happens, it won’t take you long to understand how important it is to leave as fast as you can.
Many times, you’ll find yourself barely escaping from enemies with your pulse hammering in your chest, only to find yourself in an equally horrible scenario minutes later.
The attackers will relentlessly follow you throughout the game. You’ll face two types of enemies: the ones who make their presence known and cause little damage, and those that have real personalities and really give you a nightmarish feeling.
The memory-revival component, as you begin to dive into the character’s past and start reliving events that will have an impact on the storyline, the religious connotations and the way they affect one’s soul, and the halls that breathe and bleed like they’re alive, will screw with your brain in unimaginable ways.
Outlast 2 is psychological horror at its finest. The game is visually stunning, the music and sound effects are terrifying, and the plot is intriguing, yet this sequel is different from the original in a lot of ways. It’s not often that a video game can make you sweat while sitting still in your chair, but it’s impressive that Outlast 2 can achieve that without any effort.
Can you play Outlast 2 on Mac?
You can play Outlast 2 on Max with a cloud gaming service like Boosteroid or GeForce Now in a matter of minutes. Outlast 2 can also be played on a Mac after installing Windows on the system with the help of either Boot Camp Assistant or Parallels.
Fans of Outlast 2 may be disappointed by the fact that the game is not available natively on Macs at this time. However, much like with many other games that aren’t officially supported on Mac, there are workarounds available. If you own a Mac and want to play Outlast 2, you can do so using one of the methods explained below.
How to play Outlast 2 on Mac
In order to play Outlast 2 on a Mac, you will need to sign up for a service like Boosteroid or another game streaming service and then play the game in the cloud. Another way to play Outlast 2 on a Mac is to install Windows on it.
Playing Outlast 2 through a cloud gaming service won’t be identical to playing the game locally, but it still should be a pleasant experience so long as you have a fast and steady Internet connection. Below, you can learn how to play Outlast 2 on your Mac and read about the advantages and disadvantages of the available set-up methods.
Outlast 2 Set-Up Methods
|Cloud Gaming||– No set-up required – Register and Play|
– Access to a Library of over 70 top-rated free Games
– Smooth performance
– Compatible with M1 and Intel Macs
|– Monthly Fee|
– Requires Decent Internet Connection
– No Free Trial
|BootCamp||– Free to use any time|
– Windows 10 Environment
|– Painful Setup|
– Mediocre Performance
– Only Compatible with Intel Macs
|Parallels Virtual Machine||– Easy Set-up |
– Adequate Performance
– Play almost any PC game
– Windows 11 environment
– Compatible with M1 and Intel Macs
– 14-day free trial
|– Yearly Fee|
How to Get Outlast 2 on Mac:
First, you will need to purchase the game. A great deal at the moment can be found on the CDKeys website.
Now you will need to register for Boosteroid. This allows you to add Outlast 2 to their Cloud Gaming Library. Once uploaded you can seamlessly play the game from your Mac, TV, or Mobile Device.
When Registered you will have additional access to more games for free. Pricing varies depending on the subscription plan.
Play Outlast 2 on Mac with Boosteroid
- First, join Boosteroid by going to their website and signing in with your email address.
- Log in and then choose your account name from the menu that appears in the upper right.
- In the My Subscription area, choose Subscribe, select a subscription plan, and enter your payment information to activate your subscription.
- Once you find the game you want in the search, click on it.
- When the game’s page opens, click on Play, then OK, let’s go, then sit tight while it finishes loading.
- Finally, connect your Steam account with Boosteroid. Once you do that, Outlast 2 should load inside your browser.
Play Outlast 2 on Mac with GeForce Now
- Complete your registration on the GeForceNow.com website.
- Download the GeForce Now application for Mac and then install it.
- After launching the app and logging in, search for Outlast 2 among the available games.
- Select the game, click Play, and then click Continue.
- Fill in your Steam login information so you can begin playing and wait for the game to load.
How to download Outlast 2 on Mac
In order to download and play Outlast 2, you will need to have a Windows OS installed on your Mac. When it comes to installing Windows on a Mac, you have a couple of programs that can help you do that and Boot Camp Assistant and Parallels are among the best ones.
The Boot Camp Assistant tool from Apple may be used to create a separate partition on the hard drive for Windows, and the Parallels virtualization software can be used to make a Windows virtual machine on the same computer. Both of these apps come with their own set of benefits and drawbacks, and the outcomes you get can be different depending on the Mac you have. Users of Intel-based Macs should use Boot Camp Assistant, while those with M1 Macs are advised to use Parallels.
Outlast 2 on Mac M1
You can play Outlast 2 on your Mac M1 via cloud gaming services like Boosteroid or GeForce. If you use one of these options, the quality of your gaming experience will entirely depend on the speed and reliability of your Internet connection. The advantage of using cloud gaming is that you won’t have to download the game and take up physical space on your Mac.
If you have a Mac M1 and want to download and play Outlast 2 locally, you may use Parallels to create a virtual Windows computer on your Mac machine, and then launch the Windows version of the game on that computer. Users of M1 Macs are unable to use the Boot Camp Assistant software because the Boot Camp Assistant app is incompatible with the Mac M1 chip.
- The first thing you need to do is go to Parallels and download and install the Mac version.
- In order to install Windows 10 on a Mac with an Intel CPU, go to Microsoft and download the appropriate ISO (64-bit) file.
- If your Mac has an M1 chip, you will need to download a Windows 11 ARM file from the Windows Insider Program website, where you will first need to register (you will need a Microsoft account in order to access the site).
- Open Parallels on your Mac after loading the Windows 10/11 file, and then create a Windows virtual machine (VM) using the program.
- Make a new account on Parallels, and then use that account to log onto the virtual computer.
- To download and play Outlast 2, go to your Steam client inside the virtual machine (VM), and then search for the game in Steam’s Library.
Play Outlast 2 on Mac using BootCamp
- The first thing you need to do is go to Microsoft’s website and download Windows 10 ISO (64-bit) file from there.
- To import the ISO file, open Boot Camp Assistant by navigating to Applications > Utilities on your Mac.
- After you have finished configuring your Windows and macOS partitions, click the Install option.
- When your Mac restarts, you may begin installing Windows 10 by following the on-screen instructions.
- After Windows has been installed and customized, you may use the Boot Camp window that appears on your screen to install the necessary Apple drivers for Windows.
- In order to download Outlast 2 in the Windows partition of your Mac, you will need to download and install the Windows version of the Steam client. Then, log in with your Steam account and search for the game to play it.