No Man’s Sky (Mac)
No Man’s Sky on Mac
All the fans who were excited to play No Man’s Sky on Mac were left in the dark about the release of a version of No Man’s Sky on macOS for quite a long period of time. However, at this year’s “Meet the new MacBook Pro and Mac Mini” event, the game was finally mentioned. And the wait was well worth it!
No Man’s Sky on Mac officially debuted on June 1, 2023, and is now available on both Steam and the Mac App Store. The release came packed with all content updates from the past seven years, making this a complete and comprehensive gaming experience on the Mac. If you’re eager to start your sky adventure, continue reading as we guide you through the various methods through which you can play No Man’s Sky on Mac.
What if you already own No Man’s Sky On Steam?
Good news for Steam users! If you already own the Windows version of No Man’s Sky on Steam, the Mac version won’t cost you an extra dime. Cross-save is supported between PC and Mac, so you can seamlessly continue your space journey regardless of your device. Also, with the Mac version, you can join existing players on Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, PC, and even VR through cross-play.
Can you play No Man’s Sky on macOS?
Yes, you can play No Man’s Sky on macOS natively, without having to resort to any complex workarounds. In fact, even before the release of its official macOS version, playing No Man’s Sky on a Mac was still achievable using XCloud or GeForce Now cloud gaming platforms or installing Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp (for Intel Macs). However, now that the native Mac version is here, things have become much simpler.
No Man’s Sky Macbook Requirements
If you want to play No Man’s Sky on your Macbook, make sure your machine meets these minimum requirements. First off, you’ll need a 64-bit processor and operating system to handle the game. Specifically, your Macbook should be running macOS Monterey 12.3. In terms of processing power, an Intel i5 processor should do the job. Don’t forget about memory either – you’ll want at least 8 GB of RAM to ensure smooth gameplay.
When it comes to graphics, a Radeon Pro 570X with 4GB of dedicated memory should provide you with the visual fidelity you need. And lastly, ensure you have 15 GB of available storage space to install and run the game without any issues. If you meed these No Man’s Sky Macbook requirements, you’ll be all set to dive into the vast world of the game without facing any major issues, as the game is playable on a wide range of Mac models.
But can you also play No Man’s Sky on Mac M1?
If you’re a Mac user with the latest M1 chip, you might be wondering if you can embark on your interstellar journey in No Man’s Sky on a Mac M1 machine. The good news is that the game is now compatible with the newest Apple Silicon devices, allowing you to explore the vastness of its universe right on your latest Mac model. What is more, you can freely experience the breathtaking visuals, immersive gameplay, and endless possibilities that No Man’s Sky has to offer to the fullest, thanks to the power and the efficiency of the M1 chip.
No Man’s Sky on Apple Silicon Devices
Whether you’re using the Mac mini, iMac, Mac Studio, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro, you can run No Man’s Sky on these Apple Silicon devices. The native version of the game is also compatible with Intel-based Macs with at least a Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, a Radeon Pro 570X 4GB Graphics Card, and 20GB storage space. Of course, cloud gaming services such as XCloud or GeForce Now are still viable options if you don’t have a Mac that is compatible, or if you don’t want to install the game on your hard drive.
Can you Download No Man’s Sky for macOS?
Yes, you can download No Man’s Sky for macOS and experience the game’s captivating adventure on your Mac in a few easy steps. Thanks to the added native macOS support, all you need to do is get a copy of the version that is specifically designed for Mac (from either Steam or the Mac App Store) and ensure that your machine meets the minimum system requirements to run the game smoothly. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to install No Man’s Sky on your macOS system. Of course, this isn’t the only way to play the game. To learn about all the available methods, simply follow the instructions in the next paragraph.
How to play No Man’s Sky on Mac
There are several ways to play No Man’s Sky on Mac and and immerse yourself in the wonders of space:
- Xbox Cloud Gaming: If you’re subscribed to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, you can use the Xbox Cloud Gaming service to stream “No Man’s Sky” over the internet. You won’t need to download the game, and you’ll also have access to hundreds of other games via the cloud platform.
- Boot Camp: For those with Intel Macs, you can install Windows on your computer using a separate hard drive partition via Boot Camp. You can then download and play the PC version of “No Man’s Sky” on your Mac.
- GeForce Now: As one of the most popular cloud gaming platforms, GeForce Now also provides an avenue to play “No Man’s Sky”. You do need to own the game on Steam, and there is also a free (although limited) subscription option available.
- Natively: The most straightforward way to play is to download the macOS version of the game from either Steam or the Mac App Store. This is the most hassle-free option, and it ensures you’re playing the game the way it was optimized to run on your Mac.
Now let’s delve into how to play No Man’s Sky on your Mac using each of these methods.
Play No Man’s Sky on Mac with Xbox Game Pass/Xbox Cloud Gaming
Step 1: Subscribe to the Game Pass
To play No Man’s Sky in this way, you’ll first need to subscribe to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate plan, so click the button below, then click the Join button, and sign up with your Microsoft account (if you don’t already have one, you’ll have the option to register now). Then click Join again, follow the prompts, choose a payment method, and provide your details to start the subscription.
Step 2: Play No Man’s Sky with Xbox Cloud Gaming
Next, if you want to play the game through the Xbox Cloud Gaming service, in the Xbox site, hover your mouse over the Game Pass menu, click on Xbox Cloud Gaming, and then select Play Now. Search for the game, select it when it appears, and click on Play with Cloud Gaming.
- Note 1: The XCloud service works best with the Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome browsers, so we recommend installing them on your Mac and using the service through them.
- Note 2: Playing games through XCloud requires a controller. If you don’t have one, then install this extension to your Edge/Chrome browser, enable it, and then click in the center of your screen once the game starts to begin using it.
Step 3 (alternative to Step 2): Download No Man’s Sky from the Xbox Game Pass
The other way to play this game through Xbox Game Pass is to download its PC version from the Xbox site. Before you do this, you’ll first have to install Windows on your Mac by following our Boot Camp instructions from below.
After that, boot your Mac from its Windows partition, return to the Xbox site, go to the game’s page, and click Install To. You’ll then be able to download and install No Man’s Sky in a Windows environment and play it in this way.
Play No Man’s Sky on Mac with Boot Camp Assistant
After you install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp, you’ll be able to download the game’s PC version and play it locally. Here’s a brief overview of the steps required to set up this method:
- Visit the Microsoft site and download from there a 64-bit installation file for Windows 10.
- Load the file inside the Boot Camp app, assign enough storage to both partitions, and proceed with the installation by restarting your Mac.
- Complete the pre-installation steps and start the Windows 10 installation.
- Configure your Windows 10 settings, install the latest updates and drivers, and finally download the game from the Xbox Game Pass or from another place if you want to buy it separately.
If you’ve decided you want to purchase the game rather than get it with the Game Pass Ultimate, you can get it from here:
Play No Man’s Sky on Mac with GeForce Now
GeForce Now is the other cloud gaming service that lets you play No Man’s Sky on a Mac through streaming it. To play the game with GeForce Now, you must first own it on, so follow one of the two links we’ve provided above to first get the game. Once you’ve purchased No Man’s Sky, check out our detailed GeForce Now guide to learn how you can play it on your Mac with this service:
Play No Man’s Sky on macOS with Steam
- To begin your adventure in No Man’s Sky on Mac, the first step is to create a Steam account if you haven’t done so already. Simply sign up for an account and log in to gain access to the platform.
- Once you’re all signed up, head over to the Steam website. In the top-right corner of the page, you’ll find the “Install Steam” button. Click on it, and the installation file will begin downloading. Save the file to your Mac.
- After the download finishes, locate the installation file and double-click it to initiate the installation process. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation and launch Steam on your Mac.
- Inside Steam, you’ll find a search box. Type in “No Man’s Sky” to find the game. Once you’ve found it, click on the “Buy” button to add No Man’s Sky to your Steam game library. Completing the purchase successfully allows you to proceed.
- After the purchase, the game is ready to be downloaded. Simply click the “Install” button, and the download will commence. Sit back and wait for the installation to finish.
- Once the download and installation are complete, No Man’s Sky will be available to play directly from your Steam game library. Just locate the game in your library, click on it, and embark on your thrilling journey through the game’s world.
No Man’s Sky Review: A Boundless Exploration of the Universe on Your Mac
No Man’s Sky is an open-world space exploration game developed and published by Hello Games. The game boasts a procedurally generated universe, resulting in countless planets to explore, each uniquely filled with diverse lifeforms, landscapes, and anomalies. From rocky deserts to lush forests, frozen tundras to tropical paradises, every planet offers an entirely new world to discover and explore.
The game offers players a truly expansive sandbox experience. Its gameplay is a complex mix of exploration, survival, combat, and trading elements, all set within a procedurally generated universe that’s virtually boundless.
The heart of “No Man’s Sky” is exploration. The game offers a universe with over 18 quintillion procedurally generated planets, each with its unique ecosystem, wildlife, and resources. No two planets are the same, and the thrill of discovery is unparalleled.
Whether you’re deciphering alien languages, cataloging new species, or just enjoying the vistas, exploration in “No Man’s Sky” is rewarding. You’ll spend hours traversing the stars, landing on alien planets, and discovering what each unique world has to offer.
The survival aspect adds depth and challenge to the gameplay. Planets aren’t just varied in appearance; they also feature a wide range of climates and hazards. From scorching desert worlds to freezing tundras and radiation-soaked wastelands, survival can be a real challenge.
You’ll need to manage your life support systems, protect against environmental hazards, and keep an eye on your inventory to ensure you have the necessary resources to survive.
Combat in “No Man’s Sky” can be as varied as its worlds. Whether on foot or in your spaceship, you’ll need to be ready to defend yourself. Hostile creatures, rogue drones, and space pirates provide challenging combat scenarios.
On foot, you’ll use your Multi-Tool for both defense and offense, upgrading it with new technologies as you progress. Space combat, on the other hand, involves maneuvering your starship in dogfight-style battles, balancing between attack and evasion.
Trading and crafting play vital roles in the game. Gathering resources from the environment allows you to craft equipment, upgrade your ship, and trade with alien civilizations. The economy is dynamic, with prices based on supply and demand.
Crafting is essential for upgrading your gear, spaceship, and Multi-Tool. Meanwhile, understanding the trading system can lead to considerable profit, letting you buy better ships and gear, making your journey through the cosmos smoother.
Visually, the game employs a vibrant color palette and an art style that is a unique blend of realism and stylization. It presents an impressive variety of distinctive environments, from the psychedelic hues of alien vegetation to the chilling monochromes of barren, icy planets.
The graphical representation of different planets, ecosystems, and space phenomena is meticulously detailed. The procedural generation technology ensures the uniqueness of every planet, creature, and plant. Dynamic lighting and weather effects also contribute significantly to the game’s visual appeal.
Spaceships and structures exhibit a retro-futuristic aesthetic, maintaining the balance between the familiar and the alien. These visual elements coalesce, creating a universe that is as bewildering as it is captivating.
The auditory experience in “No Man’s Sky” is contributing immensely to the overall ambiance of the game. The environmental sounds enhance the sense of realism in the game. Each planet has its distinct ambiance. Tranquil planets have the serene sounds of nature, the rustling leaves, or the trickling water, while hostile environments buzz with eerie, unsettling noises.
The game features an array of realistic sound effects, from the rumble of your spaceship’s engine, the pew-pew of your laser gun, to the menacing growls of alien creatures. The music ebbs and flows with your actions and discoveries, shifting seamlessly from ambient, peaceful melodies during exploration to intense, high-tempo tracks during combat. The resulting soundscape is atmospheric, evoking a sense of solitude and wonder that complements the game’s cosmic setting.
Updates and Community
One of the most admirable aspects of “No Man’s Sky” is its continuous evolution. Since its release, Hello Games has rolled out several significant updates, each adding new features and improvements, enhancing gameplay, and expanding the universe. Frequent community events also add to the immersive experience, fostering a sense of belonging in the vast universe.
In the vast cosmos of gaming, No Man’s Sky is undoubtedly a shining star. It’s a game that allowing you to delve into whatever path suits your fancy. Whether you yearn for peaceful exploration, the thrill of combat, the satisfaction of trade, or the joy of crafting, this title has it all and is a must-have for any Mac user with a taste for adventure and a curiosity for the unknown.
Leave a Reply