Diablo 4 on Mac
If you are eager to try Diablo 4 on Mac, know that the methods we’ve explained below -Boosteroid, Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit, and Boot Camp, will make that possible. From what we know, the game won’t come to macOS anytime soon, meaning that playing Diablo 4 on Mac will require the use of workarounds. The good news is that one of these workarounds – Boosteroid cloud gaming – is very easy to use and requires very little time to set up. On the other hand, the Game Porting Toolkit method (for M1 and M2 Macs) and the Boot Camp method (for Intel Macs) let you download the game and play it locally. Just bear in mind that these two alternatives require significantly more time and effort to set up.
Table of Contents:
- Our recommended method to play Diablo 4
- Other methods to play Diablo 4
- Our review of Diablo 4
- Mac-related Diablo 4 topics
Yes, Boosteroid does have Diablo 4 in its library. Once you subscribe to Boosteroid’s cloud gaming service on their official website, you can find the game in their catalog and start playing it.
Yes, you can use the Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit to play Diablo 4 on Mac. The toolkit, currently in beta, is only supported for macOS Sonoma and is meant to be used by developers. Although it’s available to the public and everybody can download it, working with the Game Porting Toolkit is likely going to be difficult for the average user.
Diablo 4 is available for PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S. However, it is important to note that the game is not natively available for MacBook Pro. Blizzard, the developer, has not made any official announcements regarding Mac platform support at this time. If you want to play Diablo 4 on your MacBook Pro, you may need to explore alternative methods or await further information from the developers regarding Mac compatibility.
Some users have reportedly managed to get smooth performance with Diablo 4 on macOS Sonoma after using the Game Porting Toolkit. However, most tests have shown that Mac performance of games ported using the Toolkit tends to be suboptimal, which is to be expected, since none of the ported games are optimized for macOS Sonoma. In fact, the purpose of this tool is to help developers find where and how their games need to be optimized for the beta version of Apple’s latest operating system.
Is there a Diablo 4 macOS version?
Unfortunately, there’s currently no Diablo 4 macOS version, yet this doesn’t mean you cannot try the workarounds suggested here to play it. However, when talking about running the game natively on your Apple machine, chances are that this won’t become an option in the foreseeable future. Still, we are hopeful and seeing as how many Apple users are interested in playing this game on their Macs, we won’t be too surprised if Blizzard decides to give higher priority to providing Diablo 4 macOS support. Even the world-famous actress, Whoopi Goldberg (who is apparently a fan of the gaming series) made an Instagram post, where she expresses her frustration with the lack of a Mac version for Diablo 4. Whether we get the game ported to Mac or not, the good news is that you can totally have fun with Diablo 4 on your Mac right now, with the methods we’ll talk about on this page.
Diablo IV Mac gaming options
Right now, there are two main Diablo IV Mac gaming options that Apple users can leverage to run the game. The first one is called Boosteroid Cloud gaming, and as you will see from the instructions below, this service will enable you to play the game within your browser, by streaming it over the Internet. Technically, with this Diablo IV Mac gaming method, the game won’t really be running on your machine, but rather on a powerful gaming rig to which you’ll be connected. The beauty of this method is that it takes care of any incompatibility issues and that it also makes the specs of your Mac irrelevant. You can be using an old 2014 MacBook Pro and still be able to play Diablo IV on it thanks to Boosteroid.
The other mentioned methods, the Game Porting Toolkit and Boot Camp, also resolve the compatibility problem, but have several notable downsides, such as having a complex setup process or needing a lot of storage, in addition to having a Mac that actually meets the game’s requirements.
Can you play Diablo 4 on Mac M1?
Despite the absence of macOS support, you’ll still be able to play Diablo 4 on Mac M1 using the Boosteroid cloud gaming service. The only noteworthy requirements here are to have an active subscription and a decent connection to the Internet. We also explored other potential ways we may be able to play Diablo 4 on Mac M1, including Parallels and CrossOver, but the problem with them is they don’t support DirectX 12, which is one of the game’s requirements. One method that does work on Apple Silicon machines is the Game Porting Toolkit, and we have a detailed guide showing you how to set it up.
How about Diablo 4 on Mac M2?
You’ll have no problem playing Diablo 4 on Mac M2 if you go for our Boosteroid cloud gaming instructions, as this method is very versatile and works on pretty much any Mac model, regardless of the type of CPU that it has. Also, just like with the M1 machines, the Game Porting Toolkit method also works on M2 Macs. As for the other methods that didn’t work on M1 machines, they also won’t let you run Diablo 4 on Mac M2. The two Apple Silicon chips have the same architecture, which means Boot Camp isn’t an option for them, and we already mentioned that Parallels and CrossOver are generally unable to support this game regardless of the Mac model.
Diablo 4 MacBook requirements
There aren’t specific Diablo 4 MacBook requirements because the game isn’t available for macOS. Obviously, if you decide to use Boosteroid, this would be irrelevant, but if you choose to play the game through Boot Camp, your Mac will need to meet its minimum system requirements. However, since there’s only information about the type of Windows PC hardware you’ll need in order to run the game, it may be difficult for a Mac user to determine if their machine will be up to the task. To make it easier for you to figure out if your Intel MacBook Pro or iMac will be able to run this game through Boot Camp, here is a rundown of the approximate Diablo 4 MacBook requirements, based on the PC hardware needed to support the game and what Mac models have comparable components:
- OS: 64-bit Windows® 10 version 1909 or newer – Boot Camp lets you install Windows 10 (64-bit) on your Mac, so this requirement will automatically be met if you use this workaround method.
- Processor: Intel® Core i5-2500K or AMD™ FX-8350 – Though high-performing for their time, both of these processors are rather old (2011-2012) and so even mid-range newer Intel Macs should be able to match their performance. As for older Macs, the closest Mac equivalents would probably be found in Mac models from around the same era that use using Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, such as iMac models from late 2012 and early 2013, or mid-2012 MacBook Pro models with quad-core Intel Core i7 processors.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM – This is a straightforward one – if your Mac has 8 or more gigs of RAM (virtual memory), the requirement is met.
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 or AMD Radeon™ R9 280 – This is the trickiest requirement to determine. Mac models with dedicated GPUs that might offer similar or superior performance could include:
- MacBook Pro models from 2013 and later, with dedicated GPUs such as the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M or AMD Radeon R9 M370X.
- iMac models from 2014 onwards, which are configured with dedicated GPUs, such as the AMD Radeon R9 M290X or the AMD Radeon Pro 570, 575, and 580.
- MacBooks with integrated Intel Iris Graphics 6100 and Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 (or better), respectively featured in MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid-2015).
- DirectX®: Version 12
- Storage: SSD with 90 GB available space – Since you’ll also be installing Windows 10 on your Mac through Boot Camp, you’ll need additional space for it, as well as some free buffer space left for both your macOS and Windows partitions. Realistically, your Mac will need to have at least 200 GB of free storage if you want everything to go smoothly.
Diablo 4 cloud gaming availability
The only Diablo 4 cloud gaming option at the moment is Boosteroid, and, like we’ve shown below, this service can be used directly from within the user’s browser to play this, and many other popular gaming titles. If you are looking for an easy and straightforward way to have fun with the game on your Mac, Boosteroid is a good choice. We’ll also keep looking for other Diablo 4 cloud gaming options that may become available in the future and update this article with any relevant information. Of course, if you prefer to have the game installed on your machine, the Boot Camp is also a viable option for Intel Mac users, but do keep in mind the limitations and higher requirements of this method.
How to play Diablo 4 on Mac
To play Diablo 4 on Mac, we recommend the Boosteroid cloud gaming method, as this will make playing it a lot easier and hassle-free. The other option is the mentioned Game Porting Toolkit, which actually lets you download the game and run it locally, but thus option can have a confusing setup process. Also, if you have a relatively powerful Intel Mac, and it has enough hard drive space for both the game and the Windows installation, you can also install Windows 10 on the machine and download and run Diablo 4 that way. You can find instructions on exactly how to use each of these methods right below.
How to play Diablo 4 with Boosteroid
|Why we recommend Boosteroid over the other methods||Boosteroid has the best ‘bang for buck’ of all methods. It provides fast support for new big titles, hits a constant high performance level (60 FPS) that’s rarely achievable except for native mac ports, and with graphics options reserved for high-end PCs. It requires only a good internet connection.|
GeForce Now is a higher-value alternative, but to achieve better results than Boosteroid, the service wants 6-month payments to subscribe to its highest tier. We recommend starting with Boosteroid, then switching to GFN later if you feel like it.
Methods like Game Porting Toolkit or Crossover will not give you a good experience in general and will drain your battery fast.
|Our Policy||Read why you should trust us.|
|Direct Link||Try Boosteroid|
1. To play Diablo 4 with Boosteroid, start by clicking on the button below to set up your Boosteroid account. You can either sign up with your email or use the ‘Sign up with Google’ option for a more hassle-free setup.
2. The next order of business is to activate your subscription. Navigate to your profile page by clicking on your username in the upper-right corner, then hit ‘Subscribe’, choose the most suitable subscription plan for you, and enter the required payment details to kickstart your gaming journey.
3. Now, let’s get Diablo 4 on your screen. Search for the game by typing its name into the search box at the top, and once it pops up, simply click on the ‘Install and Play‘ button.
4. A prompt will appear, on which you must click OK, and then, after some initial loading and a Blizzard login screen, you’ll be ready to dive into the world of Diablo 4. Happy gaming!
How to play Diablo 4 with Crossover and Game Porting Toolkit
For DirectX 11 and 12 games
1. Update your macOS to macOS Sonoma, visit the CrossOver site by clicking the button below, and download and install CrossOver.
2. Search for and download the Game Porting Toolkit from this Apple page and then open the downloaded file to mount it.
3. Download the CXPatcher from this page and install it in your Applications folder. Then run the following Terminal command: “xattr -cr /Applications CXPatcher.app”.
4. Open the CXPatcher, turn on the Enable External Resources and the Allow repatch / upgrade options.
5. Click Locate External Resources and open the Game Porting Toolkit folder. Then drag-and-drop the CrossOver app into the CXPatcher.
6. Create a new CrossOver bottle and install in it Steam (or another game launcher if you own the game elsewhere).
7. Turn off DXVK, launch and log in to Steam, go to your gaming library, install the game, and launch it.
For games that use other APIs
1. Visit the CrossOver site by clicking the button below, and download and install CrossOver.
2. Open CrossOver and create a new Bottle from the Bottle menu.
3. Right-click the newly-created bottle, click Install Software in Bottle, and then search for and install Steam (or another game launcher if you own the game elsewhere).
4. Download the latest DXVK version from here, open the ZIP file and go to the x64 folder. Then open the Steam bottle’s C: drive, go to windows > system32 and copy-paste everything from the ZIP file’s x64 folder into the system32 folder.
5. Make sure that DXVK is enabled, then launch and log into Steam, find the game in your library, install it, and click Play.
How to play Diablo 4 with Game Porting Toolkit only
The Game Porting Toolkit is a translation layer that allows Mac users to run Windows games like Diablo 4 on their Macs without the need to have Windows installed on their machines. Since this tool is intended for game developers and not regular users, most people will find it difficult to operate with it. However, tests show that Diablo 4 runs surprisingly well through the Game Porting Toolkit, making this a viable way to play the game on a Mac. So, if you are eager to give it a try, you can check out our detailed guide on how to use this tool to play games on an Apple computer:
How to play Diablo 4 on Mac with Boot Camp
Here are the steps that must be completed to set up your Windows 10 installation and start playing Diablo 4 on your Mac:
- Go to Microsoft and download from there a 64-bit Windows 10 ISO file.
- Open the file in the Boot Camp app, adjust the storage space distribution between macOS and Windows, and proceed with the installation.
- Perform the pre-installation steps by following the prompts once your Mac restarts, and finally launch the installation.
- Go through the Windows 10 customization, then install all of the latest drivers and updates, and finally go to Blizzard’s site to download the game.
We have a detailed, in-depth guide on how to set up Windows 10 on your Mac using Boot Camp, which you can find right here:
Diablo 4 Reviewed by a Mac user
Diablo IV, the fourth main installment of the Diablo series developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment, is finally here! Announced at BlizzCon 2019, this highly anticipated action role-playing game (ARPG) was released on June 5, 2023, and the gaming community has been on a roller coaster of excitement ever since.
Rebirth of a Classic: Game Overview
For those who are unfamiliar, Diablo IV carries on the lineage of its predecessors, presenting a rich, dark, and immersive world steeped in demonic lore and epic battles. The events in the game are set 50 years after the events of Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. The depleted forces of angels and demons have paved the way for Lilith, daughter of Mephisto, to gain power in Sanctuary, setting the stage for an epic confrontation.
You have to choose between five playable classes – Barbarian, Druid, Necromancer, Rogue, and Sorcerer – each offering its unique abilities and combat styles. The goal is to guide your selected character through a series of quests in the world of Sanctuary where the demon Lilith has resurrected. The plot takes you on a thrilling journey, fighting demons, freeing trapped entities, and encountering characters both old and new, offering surprises and revealing deeper lore with every step.
The Core Gameplay
Just like the previous installments, the fundamental gameplay of Diablo IV is driven by the relentless pursuit of better equipment, obtained by slaying increasingly challenging foes. Customizable character class skills, coupled with the strategic use of gear and talent trees, are the essential components for progression through the game’s gripping storyline. The enemies are classified into monster families based on their theme, combat style, and location, further enhancing the game’s depth and replayability.
This time, the developers seem to have aimed to deliver a more grounded narrative than Diablo III, focusing more on the Sanctuary’s common folk rather than fantasy themes of politics and kings. This storytelling approach coupled with the gritty atmosphere creates a refreshingly authentic Diablo experience.
Character Customization and Classes
The character classes each have their distinctive traits. The Barbarian can switch between weapons during combat. The Sorcerer is an elemental mage-type character, wielding fire, ice, and lightning magic. The Druid is capable of shape-shifting and controls earthen and storm magic. The Rogue excels in quick melee or ranged combat with a bow. The Necromancer utilizes dark magic for summoning and attacks.
These distinctive traits are further influenced by the attributes and the items that each character wields. Diablo IV introduces three new attributes: Angelic, Demonic, and Ancestral Power, enhancing the complexity and variety of gameplay.
Weapons and gear in the game vary in rarity, indicating their overall power. The rarest items possess unique effects that go beyond just modifying the character’s basic parameters. Furthermore, gear can be customized using runes and runewords. These items allow players to enhance selected items with additional effects.
In terms of character customization, Diablo IV allows players to customize their character’s appearance beyond just the class selection. There are also options to customize the character’s abilities from a skill tree and the possibility to purchase cosmetic items through microtransactions.
Exploring The World of Sanctuary
Sanctuary has five regions to traverse – Scosglen, Fractured Peaks, Dry Steppes, Hawezar, and Kehjistan – with the devilish playground of Hell also available. The dungeons are procedurally generated, ensuring a new adventure each time you delve into the darkness. The game’s world features an open-world environment with no loading screens between regions or dungeons.
In addition, the player has the freedom to complete each region in any desired order. To accommodate this flexibility, the difficulty of enemies is adjusted based on the player’s level (or the level of the party leader in multiplayer), and the story is designed to be non-linear. Certain areas within each region may have restricted player interactions until specific milestones in the story are achieved. The population of the game’s world varies depending on the area. Large settlements have a higher population, while more remote and wild zones appear less populated, creating a sense of desolation.
Graphics and Atmosphere
Diablo IV marks a significant upgrade in the visual department compared to its predecessor. It’s the first game in the series where all assets are standard 3D game assets, allowing for an elevated level of interaction with the environment and more detailed in-game cinematics. This leads to a more immersive and atmospheric gaming experience. The game delivers an intricate, gloomy atmosphere that stays true to the series’ dark roots while elevating it with modern graphical capabilities.
Diablo IV manages to strike a perfect balance between respecting its heritage and pushing forward with fresh, innovative features. It retains the essence of the Diablo series – procedurally generated dungeons, an in-depth loot system, and a rich, dark lore – while introducing a more open-world format, player vs. player interactions, and enhanced character customization.
If you’re a fan of action RPGs or a veteran Diablo player, Diablo IV offers a deep, engaging, and visually stunning experience that shouldn’t be missed. Its challenging gameplay, and sprawling world ensure hours of fun filled with action, strategy, and discovery that shouldn’t be missed.
Other games like Diablo 4 to try on your Mac
There are actually quite a few other awesome gaming titles similar to Diablo 4 that you can very easily play on your Mac either through their native macOS versions or, for the ones that aren’t supported for Apple computers, through cloud gaming platforms like Boosteroid, Xbox Cloud Gaming, or GeForce Now. Here are some of our favorites that we think you’ll like:
Grim Dawn (available on Boosteroid Cloud Gaming)
For fans of Diablo, Grim Dawn is an essential experience! Boasting a notably deep mythology and an engrossing apocalyptic fantasy realm, this game seizes your interest from the get-go. The double class structure truly enhances the gaming experience, offering an abundance of personalization choices. It’s completely centered around cut-and-thrust action and treasure hunting, echoing the feel of Diablo.
Diablo 3 (Native)
The forerunner to Diablo 4 is a no-brainer here. Diablo 3 boasts immersive gameplay enriched by a complex class structure. This game nurtures a variety of combat tactics and promotes character personalization. Whether it’s battling massive enemies or hunting for extraordinary loot, the thrill never stops. A captivating story holds your attention, and the multiplayer feature amplifies the amusement, making team battles against wicked forces a delight. Regular gratuitous content updates and expansion packs keep the game rejuvenated, confirming Diablo 3’s standing as an RPG legend.
Path of Exile (Native)
Get ready for a thrill ride akin to Diablo 4 with Path of Exile! It presents extensive character tailoring, a cutting-edge skill system, and aggressive PvP. What distinguishes it is its exclusive economic system and a complex web of caverns and dungeons. It’s free-to-play without being pay-to-win, quite the refreshing change.
Baldur’s Gate 3 (Native)
Though it sways more towards the traditional D&D than Diablo 3, Baldur’s Gate 3 offers vibrant, deeply strategic gameplay sure to gratify any action RPG enthusiast. The narrative driven by choices and character growth is first-class. If Diablo’s engrossing narrative appealed to you, this one’s bound to captivate you too!